Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Java, trying to learn on my spare time

Hello,

I have a few questions which I would appreciate if someone answered.

First, if one is truly great at learning and adapting to anything, should he/she be able to learn Java enough to code when the learning materials teach in different platforms like Windows and Linux or is that dumb?

I have been reading random resources like Oracle's trail, Learning Java (android app that's like four bucks), introduction to Java android app and another app branching on this app, and other resources plus I bought a book called something like 'Head first in Java'

Anyway, I'm not really getting anywhere. My aim is to create an application which uses simple mathematics, I can make most of the 'app' run in a program like excel but that's not what I want to do.

Other questions:

Can you design the look of applications all the way down to the window style and button style?

Also, can you create anything genuine in Java or is understanding Java knowing how to build what you want to build ie classes which are already built?

Is it not a good idea to try and code with a mobile device?

My computer is old, it is Linux based and I am not very good with Linux, I usually research and type what I see.

So when I followed Oracle's Trail on how to write my first "Hello World!" app using the command prompt and pico, I was able to run the application once, but each subsequent attempt to run the app resulted in errors referring to a class path problem.

So I'm not really sure what to do. So far in my understanding you need three things: Something to write with, something to assemble (.java), and something to run.

So, coding seems like it isn't really about creation... But conforming and using what has already been made.

But if anything is based on that principle then I must not understand how it works then. I mean I suppose you could compare the jvm and the translator to a paper and pencil.

I am lost I guess is what I am saying.

I'd appreciate any help in regards to successful creation. If any of you use windows phones well that is what I would like to use if possible but something tells me that windows opposes Java and may actually no longer support it... May have read that somewhere.

I bought this AIDE app for android but it seems to be based on three primary applications which you can choose from and modify; not exactly 'free creation' in my own opinion which again could be due to my ignorance of the subject.

Again, help is appreciated.
    Regards,

GA92

This is one of popular book
    Android Development

Comment

Here's a real question:

If my understanding of an IDE having all the three components required (text input, converter, jvm) vs. A text editor to run in a command prompt...

Then what is the key difference(s) between code written for an IDE versus one for a command prompt?

I mean if I am after an actual application which may be 'ported' to multiple devices then should I get accustomed to an IDE?

I currently don't have a computer so I have ide7 for windows phone.

Is this enough to create an application for possibly all three platforms? (iOS, Android and Windows)

Comment

IDE provides inbuilt code completion, debugger, click to compile sources, provides less time efforts on writing codes
        here is popular IDE
        https://netbeans.org/ good for php nd java development

Eclipse - The Eclipse Foundation open source community website.

Comment

Working...
        X