Asynchronous PHP??? OK..maybe misleading, but need HELP speeding up a script!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asynchronous PHP??? OK..maybe misleading, but need HELP speeding up a script!

I know PHP is, by nature, not asychronous.....so here is my situation:
    I currently have a CRON job that I want to run daily. It is a PHP script that cURLs multiple pages based on db entries. After adding a few lines to figure out each entry's time to complete, I figure it will take over 1.5 days for the script to finish each time it runs...and that will only get longer.

I am trying to figure out a way to speed this up significantly... I was looking at pcntl_fork(), but I am not sure how/if I can implement it for my script. I am also not sure if it would speed it up enough to matter.

I am looking for any ideas on how I can speed this up and complete the job in MUCH less time. My webhost does not seem support PCNTL, so forking does not appear to be an option. I do know my script does work, it is just a matter of speeding it up. I will even incorporate several methods if they are compatable. Forking the process for each ID looks like it would help some, but I am not positive.

So here is the basic concept behind my script. There is no information printed out on a webpage. Some code omited to simply the view...concept of script intact.

PHP Code:
    $Email = new Email;
    $Characters = new Characters;
    $dbUtilities = new dbUtil;
    $mycURL = new mycURL;

$db $dbUtilities->dbConnect();  //Connects to the Database
    $CharacterIDList $Characters->Get_Character_List($db$Email);  //Gets a list of all the CharacterIDs in the Character_Info Table

foreach ($CharacterIDList as $CharacterID){

//cURL's character webpage and stores in $info variable

$info $mycURL->getWebPage('http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx=Chr'.$CharacterID);

//Scrape and update Character_Info table

$Characters->Scrape_Character_Info($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

//Scrape and Update Character Name if Changed

$Characters->Scrape_Character_Name($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

//Scrape and Update Character friends

$Characters->Scrape_Character_Friends($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

//Scrape and Update Character enemies

$Characters->Scrape_Character_Enemy_Players($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

$Characters->Scrape_Character_Enemy_Kingdoms($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

//Scrape and update Character City if changed

$Characters->Scrape_City($CharacterID$info$dbUtilities$db$Email);

As far as forking is concerned...I have been testing my script by loading it in a webpage and watching it go with a temporary echo after each foreach loop. I tried a simple script for forking just to see what happened. I got the fatal error. I do not know if this would change if it was executed as a CRON job or not. The test I ran was the following:
    PHP Code:
    if (! function_exists('pcntl_fork')) die('PCNTL functions not available on this PHP installation');
    for (
    $i 1$i <= 5; ++$i) {

$pid pcntl_fork();

switch(
    $pid) {
            case -
    1:
                print 
    "Could not fork!\n";
                exit;
            case 
    0:

sleep(1);
                print 
    "In child $i\n";
                exit;
            default:
                print 
    "In parent!\n";
        }

phpinfo() revealed that I have PHP version 5.2.14 installed. Beyond that, I am a noob with CRON and have never messed with PCNTL.

Can anyone offer/help this poor soul?
Working...
X